Descending into Watercolor Comics

Descender - Image Comics

I'm not one to really fall for trends and fads.  The things that I like are the things that I like.  In sportscards, sometimes this is hard because I tend to like the things that everyone else likes.  Who doesn't like on-card Hall of Fame autographs?  In comics, it is much more subjective.  Some people like to buy and read comics for story, some like it for history, some like a book because it's all they know, and some buy a book and read it for art.  At it's roots, comics are simply art with a story intertwined between panels.  If you wanted to read a good story, it's a lot cheaper and easier to read a book, as opposed to seeing snippets of the story every month or so.

I like unique comic art, and I really like the idea of the watercolor style.  It doesn't help that this book was released with tremendous fanfare in dozens of different covers, or that it was optioned even before it was released (Hot Image properties, anyone?).  But I like it for the art.  It's pretty unique, and it just so happens to have a great writer and story to go along with the beautiful artwork.  I'll be the first to admit that it's not for everyone.  It certainly isn't classic comic art.  I'm a monthly reader, and ended up collecting a bunch of the covers because... hey, they are really beautiful works of art.


Comments

Popular Posts