When One of Your Real Idols Gets a Nonsports Card

People can be idols for others from many walks of life.  Many people idolize their sports heroes, their president, their military heroes, or their parents.  I have a ton of admiration for the type of people that do work similar to me but at the highest level and for the longest time.  In comes Dr. James Andrews, affectionately called "Jim" or "Jimmy" by some of his closest (not me!).  He's a legend in the orthopaedic sports world, and really in the whole sports world.  And in the whole medical world.

I've been really lucky to walk in the footsteps of giants.  I worked and trained with tremendous people, and have had the good fortune to even train in the old lab of Dr. Michael DeBakey - It's now a training ground for microsurgical technique.  I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Jim Andrews a few years ago when he was the keynote speaker at a sports surgery convention in Minneapolis.  He was as gracious and kind a man as you might expect.  His accomplishments and innovations speak for themselves.

I really dig Allen & Ginter oddball autographs.  Maybe it's because I collect a lot of non-traditional cards and nonsports stuff, but I really appreciate the chance to get pack-inserted and certified autographs of some of my heroes and idols.  Dr. Andrews certainly fits that bill, and I'm the proud owner of several of his Allen & Ginter autographs, including a red ink one, as well as his wood mini 1/1.



Comments

Popular Posts