An Epic Saga

***** WARNING - MINOR PLOT (THEME) SPOILERS BELOW *****

So, I might as well let you all know that my favorite comic book is Saga, published by Image, written by Brian K. Vaughn and illustrated by Fiona Staples.  Her art is all digital, otherwise I'd own a lot of the original artwork.  Instead, I have to settle for giclee prints signed by her, which I must say are a poor alternative to the real thing.  Anyhow, this book is amazing for so many reasons.  The artwork is truly breathtaking and the story is amazing and engaging.

Most importantly, the comic deals with real issues.  With all apologies to Marvel, we're not dealing with whether Peter should date Mary Jane or Gwen, or if Bruce Banner will get angry.  The story lines in Saga revolve around an abortion, a transgender character, racism and ethnic cleansing, the horrors of drug use, and of utmost importance, family.  I don't want to spoil the thing for you, other than to tell you that if you ever wanted to read an amazing comic book which is more an illustrated amazing story in monthly installments than a "comic," pick this book up.  I went so far as to buy a copy of the first two dozen issues in hardback for my sister and her husband for the holidays.  They don't "read comics."  But they're reading Saga.

From a collecting perspective, the book is very popular, and probably ranks among the most influential Image books after The Walking Dead.  There is no TV show or movie in the works, and honestly, it would be hard to adapt this to a video screen.  There was passing mention of Lin Manuel Miranda and making it into a musical, but really this is a pipe dream.  The "comic" genre is really the best way to present this media.  Books are still available in the wild, but are harder to come by these days.  I would get a compendium to read, and then if you like it, do like I did and pick up a couple of slabbed copies for your collection.

Comments

Popular Posts