What Got Me Back Into Collecting

I collected baseball and basketball cards, and to a lesser extent, football cards as a young man, from when I was just a few years old to when I was about 13 or 14.  Life happened, we moved across an ocean, and collecting things fell by the wayside.  Fast forward about 12 years and advance to graduate school, and I get interested in some medical history stuff that I was studying.  I googled the guy I was searching for, and 'lo and behold, he had his own collector cards.  Not just that, but he had his own autographs.  How cool was that?

Little did I know that at the time, this was like the gateway drug that opened the floodgates for the last ten years of my life.  Many, many dollars and several thousand hours later, I managed to collect the guy's final printing plate.  It was a pretty neat accomplishment for me, as I had gone on to do a completely different field from the person of interest, but was still intent on putting together a complete set of pack-issued printing plates.  If you're reading this blog, you probably understand how challenging it is to find four pack-issued 1 of 1 cards, especially in kind of an obscure product like Mayo Football.

Thanks a lot Dr. Robert Jarvik.  You cost me a lot of time and money.

Comments

Popular Posts