Clearly Beautiful


Some people are purists and love Topps Heritage, the simple, on-card autographs on 35 point stock cardboard.  Some people are new age and like their patch autographs on 180 stock.  Some people, like me, enjoy all sorts of stuff, especially when it looks good.  I don't decide to collect or neglect any product or set based on name alone, but more whether I like it or not.


When I first saw these cards, I really, really liked them.  A few other sets had done acetate reprints (notably Topps Tier One Clear), but few had done such an inclusive checklist.  This was based out of a new product launched in 2017 called Topps Clearly Authentic.  I'm not really sure how it did in the marketplace at all, as I did not buy any boxes.  However, I will say that the Clearly Authentic reprints did quite well in the secondary market, and several of the shorter print stars went near and even above the four figure mark.  I know I paid handsomely for mine, but they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.


Not all of the cards are rookie reprints, such as the 1987 Bo Jackson (coincidentally there is a 1986 Bo Jackson as well), but many of them are iconic.  About two thirds of the players are in the Hall of Fame, and several others will be.  It's always a little dicey to buy acetate autographs, since I'm not quite sure how the ink will hold over time.  I guess I am willing to take the risk.  On a side note, I'm still looking for a Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie Reprint Acetate Clear Autograph (from Tier One) to add to this group of players, much like I did with the Willie Mays from the same set.



Comments

Popular Posts