Cards I Regret Selling

As much as collecting is a hobby, it can sometimes be part business as well.  Money doesn't grow on trees, and a lot of the cards that I want are quite expensive, which begs the question: How will it all be paid for?  I also enjoy being married, and while my wife is very considerate and understanding, she is also firmly grounded in the reality that collecting is not my primary employment and should not be a major financial burden on us.  To this note, I have bought and sold thousands of items, mostly sportscards, over the years.  I have even sold some that I had sworn that I would never sell, and some of those really hurt, even to this day.


I won't hit you with any of those sob stories about how I sold a 2009 Draft Mike Trout autograph for $20 on release day, or how I didn't get market value or current market value out of something.  These cards are generally rare, don't come up for sale often, and I regret letting them go from my personal collection.  The irony is that I often do this - I can remember RE-BUYING several of my PC items that I had sold in the past.  What comes to mind is the Allen & Ginter autographs of Roger Federer and Kevin Costner in particular, but I know there have been others.  Sometimes that regret overpowers whatever dollar amount something costs.

Dylan Larkin Ultimate Shield Autograph - At one time, he was the second hottest prospect in the NHL for his rookie year, trailing only Connor McDavid.  Still, my only 1/1 rookie autograph shield/logoman that I have ever pulled.  Probably let it go for far too little.
Michael Jordan / Bill Russell dual on card autograph from 2009-2010 Upper Deck Greats of the Game.  I remember when I pulled this card - it was a redemption - and I think it was the happiest that I had ever been.  I love the old upper deck stuff, and while I would have preferred a Bulls and Celtics uniform, this was an amazing card.  On top of that, I had it slabbed gem mint.  Still can't believe that I sold it.  This one hurts more than the two Jordan Bulls autographs that I let go.
I've had a bunch of Tom Brady autographs, including a 1/1 NFL Shield Tag Auto, but this one hurts the worst.  Traded for it long ago, and always loved the super bowl game-used football.  These don't come up much, and have since ballooned in value.  But I loved the card for what it was, not what it was worth, and have regretted letting go of it ever since.

Comments

Popular Posts