What Could Have Been?

I went to the University of Washington, and during the time that I was there, we had a pretty darn good Football and Men's Basketball team.  I still love the Huskies, and follow all their teams.  I find it kind of amusing that UW has produced some of the best "little guys" in the NBA, including Nate Robinson and Isaiah Thomas.  But my favorite player at UW was a guy named Brandon Roy.  He really could do everything on the court, and he was a fantastic player.

After the Supersonics left Seattle, I had no NBA team to root for.  By default, I guess I sort of started cheering for the Portland Trailblazers, since they were the closest team left.  I lamented what might have been had the Blazers taken Durant first overall instead of Oden, but I still loved watching Brandon Roy.  He could pass, he could shoot, he could drive, and he could play defense.  The only thing that he didn't really have was great hops.  Sadly, this seems to have been a reflection on his career path, as his knees really came apart only a few years into his professional career.

He tried to come back after all sorts of fancy procedures for his knees, but he was never the same.  Such a promising career, and such talent.  It was really a shame, but also reflects a lot of athletic careers in a microcosm.  At least, for his sake, he got to enjoy some time in the NBA and will always be thought of us a great young do-it-all type of player.  Man, if Brandon could've stayed healthy.  With Durant.  What could have been?

Comments

Popular Posts