East of West - Potential for an Amazon Show?

So I'm an unabashed Image Comics fanboy, as you may be able to tell by my adoration for Saga and all things comics but not "Big 2."  I picked up this series by Hickman and Dragotta when it first started out, and loved the world-making that these two were able to accomplish.  When establishing so many characters and so many environments, it is easy to get lost in the weeds.  How many comics need a compendium "World" issue just to explain what all is happening?

East of West (or EoW for us fanboys) is a really a good old Western themed comic set in a strange dystopian future.  It's well written with fantastic art, almost as if it was produced and published by Image comics.  This book has been well received for some time, and has a stable, loyal fanbase.  But as in all things media, anything with a sniff of popularity often alerts ears and eyes of talent prospecters.  EoW was picked up by Amazon media for some sort of show, which was meant to be a pillar of new Amazon prime original program media.

While I don't think this show will present as well as The Walking Dead, I do think it will appeal to a broad range of audiences, and will have characters that people can identify with and root for.  I was deep into this book long before the speculation news hit, and I collect and read it for the enjoyment of the thing.  But, I also hope the show has legs too -- Gotta keep the book running.  It also might be good for Amazon prime to make some new content and we can see how that goes.  It really worked out pretty amazingly for Netflix, and one can only hope that the producers at Amazon do half as good of a job as the Marvel guys at Netflix have done.  Maybe then I can renew my 2-day-shipping-membership thing.

Comments

Popular Posts