Just Because You Can...

A couple of years ago, I was really into Football at the time.  I really loved my hometown Seattle Seahawks, and enjoyed football cards.  I grew up swimming and playing water polo, but I did manage to play a little bit of football.  In fact, I played for the University of Edinburgh team when I was living abroad in Scotland.  No, it was nowhere near college level football in the United States, but it was still competitive and had a high level of team camaraderie that was fantastic.

I played offensive and defensive lines.  These guys never get any love in the collecting world.  Well, not never, but hardly ever.  Back in 2010, the Seahawks drafted Russell Okung with the sixth overall pick.  I decided that I was going to collect him.  Super collect him.  Like every card of him.  Since that time, I've picked up countless cards, tons of 1 of 1's, and nearly every card ever produced.  In fact, I am only missing two rare, retail parallels out of ALL the cards ever produced of Okung.  Those two cards are 2010 Gridiron Gear Platinum O's (/25) and 2010 Score Artist Proof (/32).  That's all.  And I have tons of 1/1's, tons of rare duplicates, like 9 of the /25 Topps Chrome Red Refractors.  Both the Topps Chrome and Bowman Sterling superfractors, the NT 1/1 auto, the jersey number #76/99 NT auto, and countless other cards, including his Pro Bowl jersey stuff.  I even have two game worn jerseys, one home and one away, one of which is signed by Russell.  They were worn during the Super Bowl season and I adore them both.

Well, Okung has moved on from the Seahawks, and hasn't had a lot of other cards made.  But he continues to be a fantastic person, very active in the community and with charity work.  He is driven by a strong family and religious conviction, which I can definitely appreciate.  He is also quite business savvy and was one of the few players to negotiate without an agent.  He bet on himself, and as a result, he's one of the most well-paid offensive linemen in the NFL.  And he doesn't have to pay an agent any haircut off the top.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  Okung is a good player, helped Seattle win a Super Bowl, and has had a lengthy pro career.  But offensive linemen cards really aren't worth anything.  All the money invested in his cards are basically un-saleable on the secondary market.  But they're worth something to me.  I still check eBay every day for the cards that I need, and I still root for him no matter what team he's on.  Just because you can...  You can.

Comments

Popular Posts