Lazarus Forever

The thing that got me was the fantastic artwork.  But there are a ton of books with neat artwork, but lacking a story and premise to hold my attention.  Lazarus has it all.  Depth of characters, an interesting future post-apocalyptic universe, and an engaging storyline.  I know this book was recently optioned, but I'll tell you that I was a dedicated reader long before that.  It is truly an amazing storyline that kind of reminds me of the Underworld movies.  In fact, Forever Carlyle kind of reminds me of Kate Beckinsale's character.  No, there aren't vampires or werewolves, I guess in the truest sense of the word.



I am a scientist by nature and training, and so I guess the pseudo-science really appeals to me.  There's a lot of kinda biologic type stuff going on here, and while the vast majority is science fiction, some of it really is based in reality.  It's enough of a departure from fact to make the story really interesting, but enough grounded in realism to avoid being pure fantasy.  That's a hard line to walk, and makes for an engaging read.  I also became attached to several of the characters, and eagerly look forward to every issue.  Rucka and Lark have several other amazing properties, however, in my not-so-unbiased opinion, this is by far their best work.

Comments

Popular Posts