NWSL in Portland


Portland loves its soccer, whether it be the Thorns or the Timbers.  As a Seattle guy, I'm more partial to the Reign and the Sounders, but them's lynch-worthy words at a local game here.  I'm kidding of course, as most soccer fans, even the most die hard ones, are really actually pretty cool people.  The stadium in Portland is nestled into a neighborhood that shouldn't have a stadium.  There is no parking.  We literally walk miles every time we try to go to a game.  I'd pay almost any amount of money to not do this and to have guaranteed parking, but it doesn't matter.   It was even worse at the end of the year when we won free Reign vs. Thorns tickets.  The game was deciding playoff seeding and was jam packed.  We might as well have parked in Seattle and walked to Portland.


My wife loves soccer the most of all the sports, and I try and endulge her when I can.  It's not hard, since I love it too, and any excuse to get out is a good one.  I highly suggest any of the MLS or NWSL games.  The fans really get into it, and the games are very high level and exciting.  Anyone poo-pooing American professional soccer really doesn't understand the significance of what is happening.  Sure, it's not Premier League or Champions League level play.  But it's a heck of a lot better than what it used to be, and the fans are passionate.  I seriously hope that both the NWSL and MLS are around for good, and look forward to what they can and will become in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts