Surfer Gone Too Soon

Andy Irons won three straight ASP titles during the middle of Kelly Slater's dominant run, and was one of the favorite sons of Hawaii and Kauai, where my family is originally from.  I still remember hearing the news that he passed away in 2010.  He was only 32 years old.  In addition to his tremendous surfing career, he was a family man (his wife was pregnant with their first child when he passed away), and along with his family, helped nurture and teach the younger surfing generation.  He had a close bond with Slater and some of the other top level surfers, and an expressed desire to give back and help positively influence the generation after himself.

The circumstances around his death were always a little hard for me to stomach.  I choose to remember Andy for what he accomplished and what he stood for.   Regardless, 32 years is too young.  As far as I know, he only had one certified autograph, which came out of 2006 Allen & Ginter.  Beckett seems to believe there were about 200 of these cards signed, and I know there are some PSA/DNA copies of the base card out there as well.  I have 4 copies of the framed mini autograph, and you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Comments

Popular Posts