Times Are Gone For Honest Men


Soundgarden was my favorite band growing up.  Born and raised in the middle of grunge, Seattle, in the 80's and 90's, it was just a way of life.  My first CD was Chariots of Fire by Vangelis, but my second was Ten by Pearl Jam and third was Superunknown by Soundgarden.  I loved and swore by Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, and all the other grunge Seattle bands.  But I always cherished Soundgarden.  I remember in high school when the guy who would become my best friend asked me what my favorite band was.  I told him Soundgarden, and he didn't really know what they were.  He thought I said Savage Garden.  I still smile thinking about how...  not close... those bands are.

A few years ago, my wife and I made a ghetto shadowbox display of CD covers signed by some of our favorite artists.  Of course, I had to have a Chris Cornell autograph up.  You can see how we cut the foam out with a hobby knife and how I made little plastic corner squares from penny sleeves to hold the booklets.  Kind of neat, actually.

When Chris committed suicide, it really hit me hard.  As a fan who did not know him personally, I still felt personally aggrieved, but mostly sad for his friends and family.  I have had several friends take their own lives over the years, and it is never easy.  I wish I had seen him and the band live before he passed.  His music will still live on.  I would end with the standard "If you are thinking about hurting yourself, call the suicide hotline for help," but that would be a bit cliche.  I am always happy to talk with anyone about anything.  If you need a friend, a voice, a sounding board, or just someone to hear you, I would be happy to be your person.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts