The Prodigy

I'm not really big on fighting sports, though I can appreciate athletes and the crafts they perform in.  I think the mixed martial arts appeals to me a little more than boxing, since it seems more multi-disciplinary in its training and execution.  Of course, being from Hawaii, there are a lot of guys from where I'm from that like to "just scrap."  But a few of these fighters go onto to something more.

BJ Penn is nicknamed the Prodigy.  He was initially famous for his quick mastery of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but he really made his name in the UFC as a mixed martial artist.  His fights were like state holidays in Hawaii, where we would all go to the bar and watch him fight.  His career peaked at an interesting time in sportscards, just around when UFC cards made by Topps became a thing.  Like so many other things in sports, though, it is more johnny-come-lately which drives sales.  This 1 of 1 gold ink on card autograph cost me around $50, though it was a redemption that came promptly from Topps.  Last I heard, BJ still signs through the mail, and as a true fan and Hawaii boy, he definitely did right by me.  Maybe one day, I can dig that card up and post it as well.

Comments

Popular Posts