Summer of 2001

I was working for ESPN.com and going to the University of Washington in the Summer of 2001.  The Mariners had lost Griffey Jr., A-Rod, and Randy Johnson.  Three future hall of famers who were icons.  They had this new guy from Japan who was hyped by unknown.  Safeco new and ready to go.  As a Japanese American, I was really excited to see this new guy and what he could do.  Previous players had been mostly pitchers and were good, but not great.  I couldn't understand why he went by only his first name.



The first time I saw Ichiro (Suzuki) play was preseason.  I saw him throw from RF to 3B on a dime, and hit a double on what should have been a single.  I saw the mettle, the speed, the dedication, and the incredible talent.  I was sold.



But I was on a collecting lull.  I wish I hoarded Pujols and Ichiro rookies.  God do I ever.  But I have to make up for it now.  Topps did an autograph reprint homage to Ichiro last year, and the cards are absolutely incredible.  But they are very limited, and hard as heck to find.  I doubt I ever come even close to completing the set, but it's fun picking them up!


Comments

Popular Posts