The Chosen Juan

 I love Baseball.  And I am not the biggest fan of analytics or higher level statistics, but they do have their place and I'm not one of those baseball purists that completely disregards these numbers in the evaluation of the game.  Eye test to me still matters.  With no minor leagues this year due to COVID-19 and the MLB taking MiLB over, it'll be harder then ever to evaluate prospects before they hit the bigs.  Which brings me back to the player I love to watch the most in the Majors.



Juan Soto is great.  Objectively great.  He is one of the best hitters that I have ever seen, and I can say that even though he is only 21 years old at the time of the writing of this blog post.  His zone control is tremendous.  His eye is tremendous.  His On-Base-Percentage was nearly .500 in his age 21 season.  He was on base almost half the time.  The Nationals lineup was terrible, and losing Anthony Rendon (as well as some vets sitting out the COVID season like Zimmerman) was a bigger loss than even losing Strasburg to injury for the nationals.  He had zero lineup protection, even though he protected Trea Turner, who had a fantastic year.  And yet, at age 21, he anchored a lineup and led the league in hitting, OBP, slugging, and thus obviously, OPS.




Comments

Popular Posts